LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LondonWallet
No Result
View All Result

Boris Johnson’s Covid WhatsApps from old phone still not handed to inquiry

Philip Roth by Philip Roth
July 12, 2023
in UK
Boris Johnson’s Covid WhatsApps from old phone still not handed to inquiry
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



You might also like

TfL ad banned for reinforcing negative stereotypes about black men

PSG dealt Dembele injury blow as Enrique issues latest on star

Ukrainian elite forces hit Russian bases deep ‘behind enemy lines’ – London Business News | London Wallet

W

hatsApp messages on Boris Johnson’s old mobile phone have still not been handed over to the UK Covid-19 Inquiry.

Downing Street on Monday said “all requisite material” had been given to the inquiry after the Government lost its bid to prevent their release.

The Cabinet Office had until 4pm on Monday to comply with a High Court ruling to hand over Mr Johnson’s unredacted notebooks, WhatsApp messages and diaries from his time in Downing Street.

But the PA news agency understands that the former prime minister’s old phone, which contains correspondence from pre-May 2021, is still in his possession.

Government officials continue to help him to try to securely retrieve the messages on the device, it is understood.

Read More

He was advised to stop using the phone and not access it again on security grounds while serving as Britain’s leader in May 2021, after it emerged his number had been freely available online for 15 years.

The device he used during crucial periods of the coronavirus pandemic likely contains messages relating to the ordering of three lockdowns in 2020.

A Cabinet Office spokesperson said: “In-line with the process set out by the Court, the Cabinet Office has provided all of the requested material to the Inquiry.”

The Government handed over the rest of the documents after losing a legal challenge.

It had fought the request from inquiry chairwoman Baroness Heather Hallett to release them, arguing it should not have to hand over material that is “unambiguously irrelevant”.

But the Cabinet Office’s argument was last week dismissed by Lord Justice Dingemans and Mr Justice Garnham, who said the fact an order for material would produce “some irrelevant documents” did not “invalidate” it or mean it “cannot be lawfully exercised”.

They said Lady Hallett should be able to examine the documents and if she agrees they are “obviously irrelevant” to her inquiry, she will return them.

Mr Johnson told Lady Hallett last month that he would “like to” pass messages that are on the old phone to the inquiry.

He was believed to have written to the Cabinet Office at the time to ask whether security and technical support could be given to help access its contents without compromising security.

Mr Johnson’s team has been contacted for comment.



Source link

Share30Tweet19
Previous Post

Dutch e-bike company VanMoof makes last-ditch effort to avoid bankruptcy

Next Post

US government moves nearly 10K Bitcoin worth over $300M related to Silk Road seizure

Philip Roth

Philip Roth

Recommended For You

TfL ad banned for reinforcing negative stereotypes about black men
UK

TfL ad banned for reinforcing negative stereotypes about black men

February 18, 2026
PSG dealt Dembele injury blow as Enrique issues latest on star
UK

PSG dealt Dembele injury blow as Enrique issues latest on star

February 18, 2026
Ukrainian elite forces hit Russian bases deep ‘behind enemy lines’ – London Business News | London Wallet
UK

Ukrainian elite forces hit Russian bases deep ‘behind enemy lines’ – London Business News | London Wallet

February 17, 2026
Visa and Mastercard on red alert as fears of political shutdown mount – London Business News | London Wallet
UK

Visa and Mastercard on red alert as fears of political shutdown mount – London Business News | London Wallet

February 17, 2026
Next Post
US government moves nearly 10K Bitcoin worth over 0M related to Silk Road seizure

US government moves nearly 10K Bitcoin worth over $300M related to Silk Road seizure

Related News

March’s banking chaos gave short sellers their biggest profits since the financial crisis

March’s banking chaos gave short sellers their biggest profits since the financial crisis

April 6, 2023
Oil at 0 a barrel? U.S. role in Iran-Israel fight fuels market jitters

Oil at $100 a barrel? U.S. role in Iran-Israel fight fuels market jitters

June 23, 2025
Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Bank of America, General Motors, UPS and more

Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Bank of America, General Motors, UPS and more

January 30, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Business Finance
  • Crypto
  • Industries
  • Investing
  • jutawantoto
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Real Estate
  • UK

London Wallet

Read latest news about finance, business and investing

  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Checkout
  • Contact
  • Home
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?