multinational search team is continuing a frantic search for the Titanic sub that went missing with five people aboard and is just hours away from the end of its air supply.
The minivan-sized submersible Titan, operated by OceanGate Expeditions, began its descent at 1pm Sunday (BST) before losing contact with its surface support ship near the end of what should have been a two-hour dive to the site of the world’s most famous shipwreck, in a remote corner of the North Atlantic.
The Titan set off with 96 hours of air, according to the company, meaning its oxygen tanks would likely be depleted about midday Thursday (BST).
Rescue teams, and loved ones of the Titan’s five occupants, took hope in US Coast Guard reports on Wednesday that Canadian search planes had recorded undersea noises using sonar buoys earlier that day and on Tuesday.
The Coast Guard said underwater search vehicles were redirected to the vicinity where the noises were detected, to no avail, and officials cautioned that the sounds may not have originated from the Titan.
Live updates
Deep-sea explorer Dr David Gallo believes it would take a “miracle” to rescue those trapped in Titan
Choosing to remain optimistic on the chances Titan will be found Dr Gallo told Good Morning Britain: “Maybe two days ago my hope was sliding downward rapidly, but then these noises appeared and there seems to be very credible sources there, credible and repeatable.
“We’ll see how that pans out but everything is happening very quickly, so we have a race against time.
“Our hopes are high. We need a miracle at this point, but miracles do happen, so I’m very optimistic.”








