LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LondonWallet
No Result
View All Result

The 1975 ordered to pay £2 million in damages over Malaysian festival behaviour

Philip Roth by Philip Roth
August 12, 2023
in UK
The 1975 ordered to pay £2 million in damages over Malaysian festival behaviour
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



T

he 1975 have been ordered to pay over £2 million in damages for allegedly breaching a contract with a Malaysian music festival.

Future Sound Asia (FSA), organisers of the Good Vibes festival, said it had received “a pre-show written assurance” that the band’s set would adhere to “all local guidelines and regulations”.

During their set at the festival Kuala Lumpur in July, frontman Matty Healy made a speech about homosexuality, which is illegal in Malaysia, and kissed bassist Ross MacDonald on stage.

You might also like

Ice warning in force as flooding expected in more than 70 areas

Adverts urge boys to avoid sexist content, warning it is ‘never harmless’

Armed forces chief and German counterpart make ‘moral’ case for rearming

“The claim against The 1975 is essentially for breach of contract. They entered into a binding contract with Future Sound Asia to perform and the position of Future Sound Asia, among others, is that this contractual obligation was breached.

FSA alleged that Healy’s “abusive language, equipment damage and indecent stage behaviour” caused the event to be cancelled.

Read More

The three-day event was axed and headliners Australian singer-songwriter The Kid Laroi and American rock band The Strokes did not play.

On Monday FSA issued a statement saying that it has issued the band with a letter of claim calling for The 1975 to “acknowledge their liability and compensate FSA for damages incurred” – though the amount was not specified.

In a further statement shared with the PA news agency on Friday, lawyers for the organisation said it was demanding £2,099,154.54 in damages.

“The claim against The 1975 is essentially for breach of contract,” said David Mathew, legal counsel for FSA.

“They entered into a binding contract with Future Sound Asia to perform and the position of Future Sound Asia, among others, is that this contractual obligation was breached.

“Further, Mr Healy’s representative categorically provided a pre-show written assurance that Mr Healy and The 1975’s live performance ‘shall adhere to all local guidelines and regulations’ during their set in Malaysia.

“Unfortunately, the assurance was ignored.”

Mr Matthew added: “Future Sound Asia is taking action in response to The 1975’s breach of contract.

“Their actions have had repercussions on local artists and small businesses, who relied on the festival for creative opportunities and their livelihoods.

“In this connection, Future Sound Asia wishes to move forward in a way that will give the Malaysian community affected some closure.”

The FSA previously said if the final warning is not addressed, then legal proceedings in English courts will begin.

Following the incident the Malaysian Ministry of Communications and Digital said The 1975 had been blacklisted under a body that oversees foreign artists playing in Malaysia.

The 1975 then cancelled two tour dates, at the We The Fest in Jakarta, Indonesia, and at the Taipei Music Centre in Taiwan, in Asia following the event.

Representatives for Healy have been approached for comment.



Source link

Share30Tweet19
Previous Post

Woman under indefinite hospital order goes missing from secure facility

Next Post

Hundreds of cars damaged after blaze breaks out at Essex scrap yard

Philip Roth

Philip Roth

Recommended For You

Ice warning in force as flooding expected in more than 70 areas
UK

Ice warning in force as flooding expected in more than 70 areas

February 16, 2026
Adverts urge boys to avoid sexist content, warning it is ‘never harmless’
UK

Adverts urge boys to avoid sexist content, warning it is ‘never harmless’

February 16, 2026
Armed forces chief and German counterpart make ‘moral’ case for rearming
UK

Armed forces chief and German counterpart make ‘moral’ case for rearming

February 15, 2026
UK to hunt down Putin’s secret ‘shadow fleet’ – London Business News | London Wallet
UK

UK to hunt down Putin’s secret ‘shadow fleet’ – London Business News | London Wallet

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Hundreds of cars damaged after blaze breaks out at Essex scrap yard

Hundreds of cars damaged after blaze breaks out at Essex scrap yard

Related News

Stocks making the biggest moves before the bell: Lowe’s, Dick’s, Best Buy, Kohl’s and more

Stocks making the biggest moves before the bell: Lowe’s, Dick’s, Best Buy, Kohl’s and more

November 21, 2023
EV sales still rising at 22.3% in CA, Tesla cedes lead back to Toyota

EV sales still rising at 22.3% in CA, Tesla cedes lead back to Toyota

November 2, 2023
Digital euro can ward off a host of private payment service ills: ECB official

Digital euro can ward off a host of private payment service ills: ECB official

September 4, 2023

Browse by Category

  • Business Finance
  • Crypto
  • Industries
  • Investing
  • jutawantoto
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Real Estate
  • UK

London Wallet

Read latest news about finance, business and investing

  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Checkout
  • Contact
  • Home
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?