LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LONDON WALLET
  • Home
  • Investing
  • Business Finance
  • Markets
  • Industries
  • Opinion
  • UK
  • Real Estate
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
LondonWallet
No Result
View All Result

Ofgem forced prepayment meter installation ban extended to those aged over 75

Philip Roth by Philip Roth
September 13, 2023
in UK
Ofgem forced prepayment meter installation ban extended to those aged over 75
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


You might also like

Why the Kremlin is trapped in Ukraine – London Business News | London Wallet

Rain and snow to cause midweek pain but warmer weather to come

Robert Jenrick to outline Reform UK plans for Bank of England and OBR

Energy suppliers are banned from installing prepayment meters by force for those aged from 75 years old which has been extended from those aged 85, who have no support in the house and for people who have children aged under two.

Ofgem has confirmed the code of practice for the involuntary installation of prepayment meter (PPMs) which is to be made mandatory.

In April all energy companies signed up to the voluntary code of practice which governs the installation of PPMs.

From 8 November new rules will come into effect that ensures energy suppliers will act fairly and in a responsible manner and to only use forced installations of PPMs as a last resort.

Neil Kenward, director for strategy at Ofgem, said, “Protecting the most vulnerable consumers is at the heart of what we do, and this decision not only cements the protections Ofgem put in place for people deemed most at risk, it goes further to protect the most vulnerable households.

“Prepayment meters are an important payment method that help millions of households to manage their energy bills, but they are not suitable for everyone.

“Today’s enhanced rules are there to provide protection from bad practice while ensuring that, when needed, and as a matter of last resort, suppliers are using involuntary installations in a fair and responsible way.

“Ofgem will be monitoring suppliers’ behaviour closely to ensure they are complying with the spirit and letter of these rules. If that is not the case we will not hesitate to take action.”

Dhara Vyas, deputy chief executive of industry body Energy UK, said, “Ofgem has previously acknowledged that the new process will result in fewer installations and an increase in consumer debt – in addition to that built up during the current pause.

“The extension of the exempt categories is likely to further increase the level of bad debt. It underlines the urgency of tackling the growing affordability crisis and the importance of stopping debts building up in the first instance.

“This winter is going to be very difficult for millions of energy customers. We continue to urge the Government to introduce targeted support for this winter and to press ahead with developing long-term targeted financial support – such as a social tariff – for those customers most in need, as well as improving the energy efficiency of as many homes as possible to cut bills permanently.”



Source link

Share30Tweet19
Previous Post

Wallbox’s stock jumps after teaming up with Best Buy to sell Pulsar Plus home EV charges

Next Post

VEON finalizes sale agreement to exit Russian operations

Philip Roth

Philip Roth

Recommended For You

Why the Kremlin is trapped in Ukraine – London Business News | London Wallet
UK

Why the Kremlin is trapped in Ukraine – London Business News | London Wallet

February 18, 2026
Rain and snow to cause midweek pain but warmer weather to come
UK

Rain and snow to cause midweek pain but warmer weather to come

February 18, 2026
Robert Jenrick to outline Reform UK plans for Bank of England and OBR
UK

Robert Jenrick to outline Reform UK plans for Bank of England and OBR

February 18, 2026
Keir Starmer to make first public appearance since council elections U-turn
UK

Keir Starmer to make first public appearance since council elections U-turn

February 18, 2026
Next Post
VEON finalizes sale agreement to exit Russian operations

VEON finalizes sale agreement to exit Russian operations

Related News

Half of Londoners want to see delivery vans on streets reduced

Half of Londoners want to see delivery vans on streets reduced

September 20, 2023
Government will fail to end rough sleeping by deadline, says expert group

Government will fail to end rough sleeping by deadline, says expert group

September 25, 2023
US stocks face monetary policy uncertainty

US stocks face monetary policy uncertainty

April 8, 2024

Browse by Category

  • Business Finance
  • Crypto
  • Industries
  • Investing
  • jutawantoto
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Real Estate
  • UK

London Wallet

Read latest news about finance, business and investing

  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Checkout
  • Contact
  • Home
  • Login/Register
  • My account
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

© 2025 London Wallet - All Rights Reserved!

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?