he UK government is organising flights to get British nationals out of Israel as the war with Hamas rages.
The first flight is set to leave Tel Aviv later on Thursday, the Foreign Office said.
It comes after several airlines including British Airways and easyJet suspended flights between the UK and Israel. The Government believes up to 60,000 British nationals are in Israel or Gaza.
Foreign Secretary, James Cleverly said: “ The UK is working around the clock to ensure that British Nationals are able to leave Israel. That’s why we’ve organised a UK-sponsored flight for vulnerable British Nationals. It’s absolutely essential that if you’re in Israel and wish to leave, that you register your presence .”
Earlier, Israel warned that Gaza will not be supplied with power, water or food until the hostages taken by Hamas are freed. Israel closed off supplies to Gaza on Saturday following the attack by Hamas militants.
There are an estimated 2.3 million people living in the enclave but speaking on Thursday, Israeli Energy Minister Israel Katz said: “No electrical switch will be turned on, no water hydrant will be opened and no fuel truck will enter until the Israeli abductees are returned home.”
Israel has said it has identified at least 97 people who have been taken into Gaza after reporting up to 150 people were taken hostage with Hamas claiming it has hidden them in tunnels or “safe places” by militants.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to “crush and destroy” the militant group.
It is estimated that the attacks in Israel have killed 1,300 people, while at least 1,300 have also died in Gaza .
Live updates
Israeli army targets Syrian airports – reports
Israel’s military launched airstrikes on airports in the cities of Damascus and Aleppo, Syrian state TV has said. Both airports are allegedly out of service following the airstrikes.
Local media channel Sham FM said Syrian air defences were launched in response but did not reveal if there had been any casualties.
Vulnerable Britons to be prioritised for flights leaving Israel
Following the news that UK nationals will leave Ben Gurion Airport on Thursday, the Government has said vulnerable nationals will be prioritised.
The Government said those eligible to leave would be contacted directly and British nationals should not go to airports unless they are called to.
It is understood the commercial flights will cost £300 per ticket.
Blinken: Anyone who wants peace and justice must condemn Hamas
Continuing, the Secretary of State said Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people.
He added: “Hamas has only one agenda – to destroy Israel and to murder Jews.”
Mr Blinken did add, however, that there must be precautions taken to make sure civilians are not killed.
‘We will always be at your side,’ says Anthony Blinken
Speak at the press conference, the Secretary of State said that the US “will always be at Israel’s side”.
Mr Blinken added that Washington will “replenish Israel’s iron dome” defence system and that further US military support is on the way.
He added that Washington will reaffirm its “crystal clear warning” to any country or state actor planning to attack Israel that the US will be steadfast in its defence of its ally.
Anthony Blinken and Benjamin Netanyahu speak at press conference
US Secretary of State and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are speaking at a joint press conference in Tel Aviv as the conflict continues.
Speaking first, Mr Netanyahu thanked the US for its support following the attack from Hamas Militants.
He attacked those who celebrated the “glorification of evil” following the reports of atrocities committed by militants. He then said that Hamas will be “crushed” as he called the militant group the “enemy of civilisation”.
Anthony Blinken (L) and Benjamin Netanyahu (R)
/ Sky NewsBritish-Israelis issue appeal after loved ones taken hostage
Speaking from London, Noam Sagi, 53, and Sharon Lifschitz, 52, have spoken after their parents were taken hostage by Hamas militants.
“I shouldn’t sit here today. I should have been on the way to Heathrow to pick up my mum who’s coming to celebrate her 75th birthday here today in London,” Mr Sagi said at a press conference. “I’m here because of pure evil.”
Commenting on the situation of her 85-year-old mother and 83-year-old father were taken hostage from the Nir Oz Kibbutz on Saturday, Ms Lifschitz said: “My mum was taken out… she was disconnected from her oxygen, loaded onto a motorbike.”
She added: “My father spent his life working for peace. I am his daughter. I ask for peace. We now need to act together to fight that hatred with love. They are not part of this war.”
Israeli man tells of horror as he survives Supernova festival massacre to find his cousin had been killed
A man managed to escape the massacre at a music festival by Hamas only to find out his cousin had not made it.
The two Israelis were among the estimated thousands who attended the Supernova event where organisers promised a “journey of unity and love”.
Ofek Mishal, 24, told the Standard how he, his friends and his 23-year-old cousin Amit Magnezi were “dancing and laughing” before the music suddenly stopped on Saturday morning.
“At the start, we thought it was the IDF, but then they started to shoot at us,” Ofek said. “The policeman I was with moved about one metre away from me and then he was dead.”
Read our story here.
Up to ‘100 reservists’ have travelled to Israel from UK
At least 100 “reservists and active duty soldiers” are understood to have travelled from the UK to Israel to serve in the Israel Defence Forces, the Israeli Embassy in the UK has said.
Rishi Sunak holds call with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Rishi Sunak spoke to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi on Thursday, to acknowledge the challenging security situation at the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza, the Prime Minister’s office said.
A No10 spokesperson said: “A Number 10 spokesperson said: “The Prime Minister spoke to Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi this morning, following the terrorist atrocity carried out by Hamas in Israel.
“He expressed his condolences for the Egyptians who have lost their lives, along with so many others.
“The Prime Minister said that terrorism is an evil which must be confronted, wherever we find it. It was also important that the conflict did not spread further. He noted the importance of Egypt’s historic role in the region, including in seeking de-escalation.
“The Prime Minister acknowledged the challenging security situation at the Rafah border crossing. He offered the UK’s support to try to manage this situation and keep the route open for humanitarian and consular reasons, including for British nationals. The leaders agreed to remain in contact as the situation develops.”
Gaza death toll rises
Up to 1,354 people have been killed and a further 6,049 wounded following Israeli airstrikes, Gaza officials have said.








